Thursday, May 15, 2014

We Will Not Go Gently into that Good Night


From Magaly Rodriguez Arreola
I never knew that my first School Board meeting would be like today. I always imagined it like this: a whole bunch of grown ups talking about things that are either irrelevant or just boring and saying "I." But today was surprisingly very inspiring and soul filling. Just hearing all the ILCers from all the programs talk and just say what they have been feeling during the whole process—about how thankful they are and how this is the best opportunity to take was eye opening.  Everyone had something special they showed and every individual was very unique. Throughout the whole time I was sitting down, I thought to myself, how much diversity was present in that room but in some weird way we all shared the same goal.

We got up to the podium and lined up next to the wonderful Jenny while she gave a speech that left the council members thinking for a while about their perspective  on gender equality. I must admit that my fellow cohort sister, Cynthia Ramirez, set us apart from the rest of the programs.  She spoke from the heart and she didn't try to write a perfect speech or try to sound like someone she isn't because this program didn't accept her for being perfect. She showed sincerity and she was just real throughout the whole time she was speaking. I don't care what the other people say but our program is the best. Anyone can take an educational program that develops your brain and makes you smarter but only our program builds you as a person—a human being.

Lastly we were all lined up and positioned into our places for a huge group photo by the patient Don Gosney. I will not get into detail about the struggle we got into trying to squeeze in together and the people who were not listening or paying attention. The fact is, we took fifteen minutes just trying to fit together but I know it was worth it at the end because Don is an amazing photographer and his hard at work making all of us look amazing. Thanks Don! After thirty pictures we were dismissed and I took the time to take a few pictures. Today was another first experience that I will never forget. I can't wait for tomorrow's fancy schmancy dinner in S.F!
Cynthia spoke for all of us when she told the assembled crowd that when we come back from Brown
they would see completely new women--women who have been empowered and transformed.  She announced
that we would never allow ourselves to be looked upon as second class citizens.


1 comment:

  1. Tell me honestly--wasn’t this a great night? You all did such a great job and you represented yourselves and your school so well.

    ReplyDelete