Saturday, August 2, 2014

Chocolate Fever in New York

What's better than being in New York? Chocolate...I guess. Well who doesn't love chocolate, especially if it's from New York. That was just one of the few positive things that happened during our time in New York. Our day started off simple, waking up in our comfortable hotel bed then making our way down to the lobby at 8:45 AM for a simple breakfast consisting of French pastries. I ordered a delicious, mouth-watering chocolate eclair that gave me energy for the day. Next up was our visit and tour to New York University. NYU is a pretty decent college, what I really like about it are their campuses abroad in places such as Ahu Dhabi and Shangai. I'm a person who loves to travel and is considering studying abroad, but I'm still not sure if New York University is the place for me.

NYU information session
After the tour of NYU, we headed out for the farmer's market in Union Square to try some free samples. Unfortunately Magaly and I couldn't find any, so we just sat down and patiently waited for Jenny. Our next stop was the 9/11 Memorial located a couple miles from Union Square. We took the subway again, and I might sound a bit bias, but BART is way better than the subway in New York. First off, it's more quieter, a little bit cleaner, and the seats were more comfortable. But hey, what can I do about it, I'm a Bay Area person. But riding the subway was pretty cool and a nice experience to encounter especially if you are in New York. 

The 9/11 museum was unique, but at the same time emotional. It was heart breaking to see and hear the stories of this tragic event. I learned so many things that I didn't even know about happened and now remembering the event makes it even worst. I respect the first responders but also felt the pain and emotions of the families of the lives lost during 9/11. I was younger when it all happened, but now I understand at least most of it. This 9/11 tour and exhibit was simply inspiring since it showed me the determination and perseverance of humans assisting one another during this horrific event. 

New York from the boat
We stayed at the the museum for about 4 hours, then made our way to the boat cruise. It was about a 10 minute walk from the museum but it felt like more since we've been walking the whole day. I had so much fun at the boat cruise and it was amazing seeing all the sights of Manhattan and Brooklyn in just under an hour and a half. The rest of the night was the time for us to go shopping. We stopped by Times Square to shop a little bit, but I didn't really buy anything except for chocolate at the Hershey's store. I know I know, who goes to Times Square to buy only chocolate, well that would be Thao and I.

Overall it was a very tiring day, and it still hasn't hit me that I'm in New York. I guess I just miss Brown and the people so much that I sometimes forget where I am. But I did realize the New York isn't the place for me, everything goes by too fast and it's packed with people like crazy! Seriously, I won't be able to deal with being around so many people especially when I'm in a rush. New York is a beautiful place don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer a more calmer place like Brown. 
Farmer's Market 


No comments:

Post a Comment