Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It's Only the Beginning.

We began today’s class by brainstorming topics that we have mentioned in class, but would   like to know more about in depth.  From there, we broke off into groups to discuss as many (or as few) of the topics as we wished.  My first group decided to analyze the stigmas surrounding feminism and the ignorance surrounding this movement.  In fact, I’ve heard guys at my school complain about how all the girls who have attended the Woman & Leadership course became “raging feminists”.  For whatever reason, a surprisingly high percentage of people associate “feminism” with “man-hating”, when in reality its simply about gender equality (in my opinion, it shouldn’t be called “feminism”, rather it should be called something along the lines of, oh I don't know, “common sense”).  For example, just last Friday #womenagainstfeminism was trending on twitter!  It was probably the single most misinformed trending topic that I’ve ever seen… Anyways, now that I’ve taken this course myself, I guess now they have one more girl at school to complain about!
The New Generation of Feminists 

After class ended, I spent a lot of time working on my action plan. I’ve been in correspondence with various SPED teachers within my school district and am in the process of thoroughly researching the history and development of special education. This topic is a lot more complicated than I have originally thought. The special needs community has been facing a long history of discrimination in the form of ableism (discrimination in favor of able-bodied people).  These archaic stigmas are still present within modern society and affect the way that disabled children are perceived (i.e. bullying). I hope that my club (STILL haven't been able to come up with a name…) will be able to break down these barriers, even if its influence is only within my community. We all have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment